Thursday, January 20, 2011

The time goes by

I’m cutting this pretty close. It’s around11 p.m. and I still haven’t blogged. I haven’t meditated either. Where does the time go?

Much of it was spent, as most of my days are, with my daughter. I never considered myself a real routine-type person and yet M and I fall into rhythms and patterns which seem to suit us both.

This morning however there was a slight deviation in the routine since it was her daddy, not mommy, who took her to playgroup. (Daddy is becoming more exposed to the world of kiddy crafts and circle time since our nanny quit.)

I dressed up and headed in to the office where I had the pleasure of working at a computer that kept restarting every 7 minutes. Each restart labouriously reloaded my personal settings. Two minutes after I’d be working again, I’d get another 5 minute warning. No option to postpone. I’d frantically try to finish what I was doing before it would shut down, then I’d wait for it to reboot, for my settings to load... only to get another 5 minute warning. After a few rounds of this I used the 5 minutes to forward everything I needed to my own email, left the office and went to the coffee shop where I was able to get everything done much more quickly on my own computer.

Back home to baby and hubby. Hubby off to his office and baby and I back to our routine – although today with an added difference of going to check out a home daycare. This, of course, is followed by the circles of thought, the weighing of pros and cons, the anxiety about the lack of certainty. When I hire a nanny I can tell her: this is what I want you to do in caring for my child. When I visit a daycare, they tell me how they care for children and I have to figure out how that fits for me.

And this evening was the first of my knitting circles for the year. A small group, but good conversation and some delicious cookies – a very pleasant evening.

Squeeze in a blog and off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment