Friday, January 14, 2011

Earth wobble, zodiac kerfuffle

What? I’m a Libra???

Apparently the zodiac signs most of us associate with our birthdates are wrong. The moon may have wobbled. Or is it the earth? In any case, there has been some shift in the stars’ alignment by about a month. That, and you may be an Ophiuchus, although good luck finding that horoscope in the paper.

Now, I don’t seriously read my horoscope. I don’t think all other people born within the same few weeks as I share a closed set of characteristics and prescribed future. I also know that given general personality descriptives, people will tend to remember those which apply to them and forget those which do not.

All that said, I, among 2,824 other voters on CBC’s site think that my ‘old’ astrological sign is more like me (as opposed to those 358 who side with their new sign).

Take the following example: “Scorpios are fiercely independent. They are able to accomplish anything they put their mind to and they won't give up. They are perfectly suited to being on their own. They are not social butterflies”. Compare this with “Libras like to be around other people, they are all about partnerships and groups. They are happiest when other people are around and when other people are doing their work. They are lazy but like posh surrounding and nice decor.”

Have we met? How can you think I’m a Libra?? The earth would have to do more than a little wobbling to turn me from the introvert hermit I am into a social butterfly who would want other people doing my work!

Luckily for me, and any of the horoscope-faithful, “self proclaimed psychic and astrologer Walter Mercado confirmed that the traditional dates of the Zodiac ‘remain the same’.'' What a relief.

Seriously though. This is some story that broke in Minnesota. It’s made a bit of an internet viral buzz, as these things do. But my guess is that in a few weeks it will be forgotten about. Newspapers and tabloids will continue to print their horoscopes, citing the same dates they always have, and I can go back to being the uninformed, disengaged, independent Scorpio I’ve always been.

1 comment:

  1. ya, but wouldn't it be fun to be a Libra just for a day to try it out? I think you should pick a day and try to live like a Libra and blog about it
    :-)

    ReplyDelete