Friday, November 18, 2011

Movember's mos

I’m surprised I’ve made it this far into November without blogging about this, about these things that are sprouting up all over the place. Even my own home is not safe – there is one growing within these very walls.

Yes, I’m talking about Movember and the mos I not only see around town, but across from me at the dinner table.

I must admit though that my husband is putting on an impressive display of rapid facial hair growth, if such things do inspire. There is nothing measly or wimpy about his ‘stache – which isn’t the case for some of the ones cropping up.

For those who don’t know, Movember is a global movement which encourages men to sprout ‘mos’ for the month of November and to raise money for prostate cancer and men’s health. The movement has over a million participants and has raised over $176 million.

I blogged about this campaign back in September and encouraged V to join – so yes, I’d be a hypocrite to complain about it. And while I will be glad when the month is over and my man is clean-shaven once more, I’m happy to see him having fun, doing something to raise money for a good cause – and kicking some mo-growing a**.

You can support my man and his mo through his MoSpace page. Money raised through the Movember campaign here in Canada goes to Prostate Cancer Canada, a national foundation dedicated to the elimination of prostate cancer through research, education, support and awareness. Last year nearly 119,000 Canadians participated to raise $22.3 million (Cdn).

For any of you bold men out there growing mos this month, there are tips available online for keeping a neat and healthy stache – such as being sure to moisturise the skin under your facial hair so as to avoid dry mo flakes (ew!), keep it combed and keep it clean (taking care you don’t have any crumbs or left-overs stuck in it after you eat). You may even want to try a dab of conditioner, wax, hair gel or putty to add some flair and style.

So mo-growers out there, take pride in your stache. But please, don’t get too attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment