Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Birthday girl

I remember as a kid that birthdays meant being ‘queen for a day’. The birthday girl got to pick her meals and things to do; there was a birthday party, gifts... Lots of fuss and lots of anticipation.

I wrote yesterday about growing older and how age becomes less meaningful. It only makes sense that birthdays don’t seem like such a big deal either. Maybe after 36 of these, the 37th isn’t too exciting.

But all that said, it has been a very pleasant day. Overcoming time change, Miya slept till 7 a.m., which was a lovely present in itself. We then had our usual morning routine – me getting hot oatmeal into her and getting her ready for school before 8:30. She’s becoming so independent that she wants to do almost everything for herself, which requires its own type of patience, but is rewarding too.

After V left with M to drop her off at school on his way to work, I was able to relax with my coffee, take time with my shower, post some pictures on facebook, etc. before my mum picked me up for a brunch date at one of the best brunch places in Ottawa. Usually its way too busy on a weekend, but it was accommodating on a Tuesday morning.

Mum and I did a couple errands, then I was back home by around noon where I spent a few hours relaxing, crafting and knitting. I purposefully did no work – apart from replying to a few emails. Funny how its almost hard to avoid, like a junkie needing a fix. But by exerting some self discipline I was able to resist the urge.

One of things Mum gave me for my birthday was a Bridgehead coffee card (she knows me well). So in the afternoon, I left a bit early to pick M up from school and stopped to get a decaf latte as a birthday treat.

This evening, V took me out for a lovely dinner at Absinthe, a trendy bistro in our neighbourhood. We were joined by a good friend of mine, so it was great to get to catch up with her while enjoying a delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment