Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Which one should go?

So here’s my dilemma – there are only so many hours in the day and too many things I want to do. I've reached a point at which I know that I have to take something off my plate.

The following is an outline of the main activities with which I could, or do, fill up my Monday-Thursday working week (Fridays are spent with Miya and I am not ready to give these up). If you had to choose, which of the following would you say should go?

1) A 15-hour/week contract (with the potential of increasing to 3.5 days/week) doing research and communications with a national organization. I enjoy the subject matter (restorative justice and criminal justice reform) and the position offers steady income and professional development, but not necessarily personal fulfilment. While I have some flexibility and freedom in my tasks and main activities, the internal politics of the organization can be challenging.

2) A position on the chairing committee of a start-up national network advocating for safe and effective responses to crime. Again, this is a subject matter that I believe in and want to work on, but being a start-up, the work can be unpredictable, stressful and at times very demanding. The remuneration is less than I'd get doing the same work for an established organization and some things need to be done on a volunteer basis. However, I'm able to take a lot of leadership and initiative and this position offers great opportunities for professional development and networking. As I am involved in the leadership as well as implementation, the work can be fulfilling and stimulating.

3) Turning my thesis into a book. While publication is not certain, I have an opportunity to collaborate with a professor to turn my master’s thesis into a book. I would be combining policy and academic research and hopefully produce a book which would be published by a university press. While this is far from a sure thing, it will only be possible if I can invest time and energy into developing the proposal, rewriting the text, networking etc.

I have come to the realization that I can only do 2 of these 3. Which???

2 comments:

  1. (3) sounds like an incredible opportunity and goes with your goal of being a writer. So which of 1 & 2 would be easiest to do while working on 3? From the descriptions above, I'd vote 1 & 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:41 PM

    Do you know what you want to be doing in 5 or 10 years? Which options best position you for that future?

    Kate H.

    ReplyDelete