Tuesday, July 12, 2011

#19: Blog 'A Song of Fire and Ice' Summaries

One of V’s blog suggestions was that I blog summaries of the first four volumes of ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’. This is not that blog.

The first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, A Game of Thrones, was 831 pages. The second book, A Clash of Kings, was 1,040 pages. The third book, A Storm of Swords, was 1,216 pages. The fourth book, A Feast for Crows was 1,104 pages. So forgive me, but I did not have time to read and summarize 4,191 pages in order to write this blog.

However, given that A Dance with Dragons, the much anticipated volume has finally been released today after a six-year wait, the least I can do is acknowledge V’s request.

In all honesty, I have not read any of George R. R. Martin’s books and have no plans to read this one. I did not even watch the Game of Thrones t.v. series on HBO. My husband tried to get me to watch the preview for it – but I found it violent enough that I walked away after 5 minutes. I have no stomach for television or movie violence and don't intend on acquiring one. (Although I do appreciate that our friends are watching it and providing free babysitting for us!)

That said, from browsing the Internet, listening to my husband and talking to some friends, I do know that the highly acclaimed Song of Ice and Fire series was inspired by England’s 1400s War of the Roses and that it reportedly has complex story lines and multifaceted characters who defy stereotypes and conventions. Many people have spoken very highly about these books and I’m sure there are fans all over the world tonight who are immersed in their brand-new copy of today’s 1,016-page release.

I pre-ordered A Dance with Dragons online for V awhile back, only to discover today that I didn’t really do him any favours since we now must wait for it to be shipped (imagine how many orders Amazon is processing today!) Seems I missed a chance to prove my love: I should have been lining up at midnight to get a first edition hardcover copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment