Sunday, May 03, 2009

birth story

I woke up at 2 a.m. on Sat, Apr 18 with some cramping. The morning before had been the same from about 2-4 a.m., so I didn't know if this was anything too significant, although a little voice said this might be it. Tried to fall back asleep, but it was probably my spinning head more than my cramps which kept me awake. Nesting instinct had really kicked in this week and I'd been tearing apart the office/nursery, cleaning and painting all week, but I lay there thinking of all the things that needed to be done if baby really was coming now.

I managed to wait until around 7 - when the cramps were pretty regularly about 7-10 mins apart - to wake my sleeping husband with the warning that this might be it and a long list of to-do requests. Poor guy bustled all morning - moving furniture, cleaning, sorting, etc. I called my midwife to give her a heads up that I might be early labour, but she cautioned me that this could slow down or stop.

In the afternoon things were slowing down so we went for a fairly long walk, stopping to take breaks if a contraction got too strong. I thought the walk might kick things into gear, but again when we got home the contractions slowed down. I called my midwife around 5 and she said that at this point I probably should focus more on resting and getting a good night's sleep than on bringing on labour.

But by 8 p.m. the contractions were coming more regularly and were no longer something I could just ignore or talk though. The midwife came by to check on me around 9 and told me that while I was fully effaced, I still was not dilated at all. Again she cautioned that I could labour might be a long way away and the best thing I should do is try to rest. She recommended I take a couple of tylenol and gravol and try to sleep. She also warned that women tend to exaggerate their pain in the early hours of the morning - basically saying I should be really sure I am in active labour before getting her to come all the way here in the middle of the night.

So I took the tylenol and gravol and managed to doze between contractions till 11:00. But I woke then with pretty bad nausea and pain. Got to the bathroom in time to throw up. That's when things really took off.

V was brilliant in helping me cope with contractions. I soon lost the ability to communicate with more than a word or two. He phoned the midwife a couple of times to let her know that things were progressing, but we didn't say 'yes, come now' since I didn't want to bring her here prematurely.

I think it was around midnight or 12:30 that my water broke - at which point I moved to the bathroom and grunted at V to draw a bath. Perhaps half an hour after being in the water I transitioned to pushing and roared Miya into this world at 1:30 a.m., April 19. The midwife showed up 10 mins later.

I sat in the tub holding her till the midwife came - such an incredible physical and emotional sense of relief. Seeing that she was ok, breathing, alert... We even forgot to confirm that she was indeed a she, so busy were we just marveling over this tiny living being.

It was quite shocking to deliver her ourselves. V was incredible throughout. It was all really intense and totally consuming - although I do remember thinking - probably around the most intense time of transition - that if the midwife showed up and told me I was only 4 cm dilated, then I was going to the hospital for drugs.

So now we are trying to catch up on some sleep and get to know our little girl. I'm sore, as can be expected. V is still being fantastic - taking care of me and often wearing Miya in a sling around the house so I can get some sleep. We're still guessing at what her skin and eye colour will end up being, but marveling at how beautiful she is for a newborn.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations from Germany!!! What a way to enter the world, little Miya. Finn and Lily say HI to their new second cousin! :)